Please see answers below to the most frequently asked questions about our Shingleback Racks
- What are the specifications for the rack?
- Will the rack work with vehicles that have a spare wheel mounted on the back?
- Can I put road bikes on the rack?
- Will kids bikes fit?
- Will an e-bike fit?
- What are the dimensions of the Shingleback Trolley Stand?
Still have questions? Please head to the contact us page for details
What are the specifications for the Shingleback Rack?
The Shingleback Rack varies in size and has four different carrying capacities. Please visit the Shingleback Rack page for all the specifications.
Will the Shingleback Rack work with vehicles that have a spare wheel mounted on the back?
Yes. The Shingleback Rack has different settings that enable you to achieve a good fit on your vehicle. Please refer to our photo gallery to see pictures of the rack fitted to a variety of vehicles including Prado’s and Pajero’s.
Can I put road bikes on the Shingleback Rack?
While the Shingleback Rack is designed for mountain bikes, you can transport road bikes as well. You will need to pad out the basket to protect the skinnier rims and spokes, as well as wrap the orange bungee loop around the wheel twice to hold it securely. A simple option is to place a couple of pieces of a pool noodle where the wheel contacts the basket.
Will kids bikes fit on the Shingleback Rack?
Yes. The Shingleback Rack can transport full size 29” bikes and down to 20” kids bikes with no rack adjustments needed.
Can I put an E-bike on the Shingleback Rack?
Yes. The Shingleback Rack is rated to transport bikes up to 23kg in weight. You need to carefully check the weight rating of your vehicles tow bar to understand the maximum weight you can put on your tow bar.
Do I need a light board or number plate board?
Always check the regulations in your State/Territory as they can vary across Australia.
For night driving you must ensure your number plate is visible and illuminated. For day driving, if the rack obstructs your vehicles lights, you will need a light board to comply with road regulations.
Your number plate must be visible at all times and so we supply a basic number plate board with the Shingleback Rack that you can attach to the wheels of your bike. You will need to contact your State/Territory road authority to purchase a bike rack number plate.
What are the dimensions of the Shingleback Trolley Stand?
Please refer to the additional information tab on the Shingleback Trolley Stand page for all the specifications.
Can I mount the Shingleback Vertical Bike Rack to my caravan, motor home or camper trailer?
When considering a mount as an option and prior to purchasing one, it is your responsibility to ensure you understand:
- the weight ratings of your vehicle (ie. tow ball weight, vehicle towing weight capacity)
- that the tow ball weight will be affected
- if extra support or bracing is required for your camper/caravan/trailer
- your obligations to comply with government regulations in relation to accessories attached to your caravan/camper/trailer
- how the installation of the bike rack will impact on your caravan/camper/trailer (ie. Sway, access to rear vehicle door, chassis and structural issues etc)
- if the universal mount is right for your caravan/camper/trailer
- you will need a qualified fabricator to weld the mount onto your caravan/camper/trailer